5 ways to get involved as a Young Professional in Memphis
Thursday, 20 January, 2022
As we kick off a new year, we want to provide opportunities for you to get involved in and give back to our great city! There are tons of organizations across the city doing incredible work, and they are all looking for energetic volunteers like YOU! We have highlighted a few organizations below, and you can check our social media channels this month for more details on each organization.
- YMCA + SCS Tutoring – Research shows that the impact the pandemic had on unfinished learning was significant for K-12 students in Shelby County Schools. On average this placed children 5 months behind in mathematics and 4 months behind in reading, with even greater impacts to children in disadvantaged communities. Our children’s future to be able to attend college and join the future workforce of our community is at risk, so we need your help. Support Shelby County School students volunteering as a tutor to help students recapture lost learning.
- Backrs – Interested in making an impact in the life of a Memphis youth? Volunteer with Backrs, a crowd-backing platform that helps young people build and engage with a team of supporters who are there for them financially, emotionally, and personally on their life’s everyday journey. Kids get a team of adults who are interested in them – their day, their dreams, their obstacles, and their accomplishments. Backrs get a powerful and rewarding new way to engage with kids and provide extra support, and they get to do it as part of a small team of similarly inspired people. It’s all done in about 5 minutes or less per week from your phone!
- Grizzlies Foundation – Transform Memphis by volunteering through the Grizzlies Foundation! Through this Foundation there are multiple opportunities to volunteer at organizations throughout the city of Memphis and make an impact.
- Collage Dance Collective – Want to give back to the Memphis arts? Volunteer at Collage Dance, a professional dance company that provides classical training to communities of color and prepares them for collegial and professional dance appointments. Collage’s professional dancers serve as role models and cultural ambassadors for the city of Memphis while Collage’s conservatory programs provide a multitude of ways for our community to engage with the fine arts.
- Just City – Court Watch – Have you wanted to see what it’s like inside Shelby Country courtrooms? Now is your chance! Volunteer with Court Watch to see what really happens. Court Watch encourages transparency, accountability and community participation in the work of criminal justice reform.
There are so many ways to get involved in Memphis and we hope to connect with you throughout the year volunteering at some of the initiatives.
YPC Volunteer Co-Chairs | Susan Waggoner + Sebastiaan de Kok
The Greater Memphis Chamber’s Young Professionals Council YPC host monthly events providing our city’s future leaders with opportunities to connect with each other and with established business leaders in the area to gain insight and connections that will further their careers, broaden their networks, and prepare them to serve as the next generation of leaders for our community.
Want to stay in the know and attend upcoming events?